Sunday, July 17, 2011

Safe and Sound in Cambridge

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the reeds and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather bed of civilization and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints."
~Robert Louis Stevenson

I am a believer in traveling, to say the least. I am a believer in going. I am a believer in discovery. I am a believer in living fully. I must, however, contradict Stevenson on one point: the destination IS important. And after just a few short months home from my whirlwind adventure in Spain my new destination is.....
CAMBRIDGE!!!

Just a short preface: the week prior to my arrival in Cambridge I just about died. Literally falling apart at age 20. Broken foot, perforation/ concussion to eardrum, emergency oral surgery, at least 1o doctor's appointments....not fun stuff. It is, therefore, no small miracle that I was even able to travel, let alone arrive safe and sound. (I must say percocet does make for a very restful flight:) ) BUT I am happy to report that I am still alive and definitely on the health upswing here in the UK!

Now for the good stuff! And, boy, is there a lot of goods stuff, so this will barely skim the surface!

My new home is King's College, one of 32 separate colleges that make up Cmabridge university. King's is truly the most grandiose, magnificent, ostentatious, and elaborate of them all. Probably something having to do with being commissioned by the King Henry VI...those monarch's and their inferiority complexes. But I'm not complaining, because I am reaping the benefits of living in one of the most architecturally and historically amazing places I have ever been. 


Yes, people pay to enter the building that I live in. Yes, tourists sometimes take pictures of me. Yes, I get to go in all the areas marked "private" or "members only".


My first full day in the UK happened to be the 4th of July. Being an American in the country we fought for independence from on independence day is quite a conundrum, but I proudly sported my Americana apparel and avoided eye contact with any slightly perturbed looking Brits.

I'm just hoping it's possible to love the U.S. and Britain. 

Alright lots more later, and, as they say here.... 
cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment